¡Bienvenidos to Rose-Moreno, welcome to my blog!



Myself with Don Marco (Master-weaver at Kinal Antsetik) and his apprentice
weavers.  The first artisans I will work with to develop fabrics for Rose-Moreno

Here, I am going to document and write about the background, origins, whys, wheres, values, inspirations, developments, meetings, processes, trials, tribulations and successes in the setting up of my ethical-fashion brand Rose-Moreno in Mexico.

Here I can satisfy my writer-self, and hopefully keep you engaged in the ‘behind-the-scenes’, right from the very beginning of Rose-Moreno. I would like this blog to be inclusive and interactive, to open-up debates with you via my posts and photos, that can challenge me as a designer and ethical fashion entrepreneur, keep me grounded and help shape the future of the brand.


Just recently I had an e-mail exchange with Ana Paula Fuentes, an expert and consultant of indigenous Mexican textiles, about the importance of supporting and strengthening the family-unit, that being the inter-gender balance in the weaving communities, as well as female-empowerment which seems to be more spoken about in the ethical fashion arena (...I will go more in a later post).

I had a brief conversation via Instagram with ethical-fashion blogger, The Pea Hen (@the_peahen) - clarifying the use of the word ‘fair-trade’, as it is often wrongly used (I being a previous culprit), and another debate with Eco-Warrior Princess (@ecowarriorprincess) regarding clean vs experimental design in sustainable fashion, and already a lack of individualism in the field.

A good friend and start-up consultant advised - “provide work for yourself, before you provide work for others”… in other words, tame that anxiety to work with and help everyone at such an early stage. Slowly but surely = true sustainability! All these conversations are already having an impact on the decisions I make and the direction I take my venture in.



Don Marco and apprentice Vero, at the pedal loom.

Ultimately, I want this to be a labour of love, coming back to one-half of my roots, the Mexican half, a very passionate half. Fusing my love for Mexico’s indigenous arts that I grew up surrounded and inspired by, with my formal British design education and professional experience.

Rose-Moreno will become a brand that is desirable for it’s refined design and contemporary style in beautiful, high-quality artisan textiles, all made in Mexico. But, perhaps most importantly, is the intent behind the brand, and what will hopefully become its positive impact on the people and indigenous artisans involved in its creation. I hope that my customers will value, just as much as the aesthetic, the fact that every Rose-Moreno piece will guarantee the maker’s dignity and livelihood, and have as little environmental impact as possible.

All I can do is try my very best, and add to the increasing but much-more needed network of conscious-fashion makers and doers. So, please keep following and being a part of my journey… it is all in the making!

[Email subscribe to the blog, clicking on the ‘Subscribe’ link on the top righ-hand corner; follow me on Instagram as @rosemoreno_mx ; share with friends & family you think may be interested and please feel free to comment on this post]


Comments

  1. this is bloody awesome!!! big up LATAM sustainable textiles with awesome designers - aka rose moreno!! gooooo jessieeeee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much Helen!!! Glad you are enjoying the read! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts